Monday, December 9, 2013

Dear Family,

Well I had a rather uneventful week this week so there isn't going to be too much to this letter. Sorry. First of all let me say that I have been really really sick. I caught a cold on Tuesday and it just  got worse and worse each day. I probably should have stayed in a day or two and rested but when I can't work I get a little crazy so I tried to work through it. One of the days it rained here like crazy and the elders dropped us off at our first appointment and said they would be back to pick us up when we were done because they didn't want me walking in the rain. So we taught our lesson and we were waiting on the elders when they called and said they had to see someone and couldn't come get us but they said because I was sick to just stay where we were and hang out with our investigator. (The girl we were teaching is named Julie and she has become one of our really good friends. Her little brother and sister were baptized last year and now we are teaching her. But she's great and the elders knew she wouldn't mind us just crashing at her house.) So we stayed there for a while and she taught us a lot about Maori culture so I don't feel like the time was wasted. However we kept waiting and waiting and I felt like we really needed to see this other family. Mom you would have totally killed me but I decided to brave the weather and walk to this house which was about 20 minutes away even through it was pouring outside. Sister Pongi and I put on our rain coats and went for it. It was one of the funnest things I have done and probably the stupidest since being here. The rain was so intense that within five minutes my rain coat reached it's max capacity and quit repelling water. After about ten minutes we were soaking wet. I don't think I have ever been that wet being fully clothed. Now keep in mind that this happened while I was fighting that bad cough that I get sometimes. We eventually made it to the house that we wanted to and as soon as we reached the front door the elders called saying they were done and on their way to get us. I laughed and told them that we were at this other house and when they found out that we walked in the rain they were so mad but all we could do was laugh. It was all worth it though because we were finally able to meet with the family I told you about a while ago whose house burned down. They said that they still want to be baptized and that they have missed having us around. I think they also took pity on us because we were soaked so they saw the sacrifice we made to come see them. In a way it help to prove to them how much we love them. After that the elders came and picked us up and when I got in the car one of the elders turned around and said "Going for The Notebook look Sister Simkins? " I was so wet my hair looked like I had just gotten out of the shower but it was just so much fun. Seriously when will I ever walk in the rain like that again after my mission? I wish I had taken pictures but my camera battery died and so I didn't get any. This whole adventure in the rain did make me sicker though and I thought I was going to have to see a doctor but this morning I woke up and I think I have turned a corner. Don't be mad because I don't have any regrets.

Now another funny story of the week. Sister Pongi and I went this week to visit one of our favorite members and we were talking with her and she said "Alright sisters I have to ask because you know probably know more than me. What caused the fight on Sunday?" I was surprised and I asked "What fight?" and she said "You didn't hear about the fight between Brother Khan and Brother Barber?" and I was even more surprised because Brother Khan is our ward mission leader. So apparently last Sunday during priesthood one man said something that made the other mad and so they went out into the hall and started fighting it out. Can you believe that? There was an actual fist fight at church and not between young men but high priests. I couldn't believe it and then I couldn't stop laughing about it. Seriously how do you get in a fight at church? Its times like these that I am reminded that I am in fact in a foreign country. 
So one of our investigators is supposed to be baptized next week and now she is having second thoughts... again. She has been taught by missionaries for years, she comes to church, reads the scriptures, says her prayers, goes to a FHE group, and does everything else that an active member of the church does. And when she found out that the family I mentioned before had lost their house she immediately gave them one of her beds and her couch. She is honestly amazing, but she just won't commit to baptism. When we fist started meeting with her in October she was the one to set her own date for baptism and she chose December 21st but now she is backing out and we don't  know how to help. Her kids are active members and her son was supposed to baptize her so she has a ton of support. We don't really know what to do at this point so please please please keep her in your prayers. This week is crucial because if she doesn't get baptized next week then she will wait a another year because the date means something to her and that is the only she will be baptized on. She is ready and everyone knows it. She's just letting the adversary get to her. Please she needs all the help she can get. Because I have seen the power that comes though praying for people by name I will tell you her name is Kahu and its pronounced "ka-hoo" Really I love her so much and I love her family and I want them to be united in the temple someday so please keep her in your prayers. 

Well that is all that I have for this week. Sorry its a pretty boring/depressing letter. I hope that everyone else has a great week! . 



1 comment:

Jessica said...

Sounds like you had fun! Sarah has had some funny stories about ward members and fighting at church since they have been in Bulgaria. :)